Being a general video store; which btw I am very glad they're still called that. I for one still watch a couple videos here and there, and blank videos come in handy when I'm going out and need to record that very important episode of Home and Away. I was stared down at with open mouths when I revealed to my Hospitality class that I do still record shows on video. Im sorry if my style is too 'old school' for some, but truth be told I have no flippin` idea how to record on DVD. I thought I did. I thought I had a collection of movies saved to DVD, only to find out later when I tried to watch one that I had infact just recorded hours of a black screen. I guess they'll be no Titanic for me tonight. But it's ok, i still have my always reliable VCR to record my every want.
So wait back to what i was actually saying: Being a general video store, the main one in my area, and having such ridiculously good deals (the all famous $1 Tuesdays and Thursdays) we tend to get the same customers. Well I do anyway.
-There's the couple that come in, chat for about 20 mins, then leave without even looking at the films which surround them.
-The old man who at first glance you think he'll rent an old romance or classic action flick. Oh no, he enjoys hard core porn and shows no shame when renting such explicit material from a young girl.
-Next is one of my favourite customers. I actually look foward to his presence. A nice gay fellow who complements my necklaces and will occasionally give me a 10c
-This is my least favourite regular. An old Europian man, from my experience here's a helpful tip from me to you; always be cautious when an old man enters the video store. So anyway, there is this old man who think's it's ok to hit on me. His exact words would be "would you like to come back to my home country for coffee. My wife has died". Others who work at the video store have tried to warn me of this man. You see on every members account you can tag them, for example to write if they have many fines. On this man's account it reads "VERY DIRTY OLD MAN. WATCH OUT". oh if only i had seen that sooner.
Amongst other regulars I get a lot of the same kind of people. The very large woman of italian decent trying to avoid their $16 fines. Come on people its $16, just pay it! how povo can you be! and they always give the worst excuses. The machine will not let you hire unless the fines are all paid, so there is no way in hell that you have already paid them and then re-rented. You people make me sick.
I get a lot of young boys attempting to hire MA and R rated horros. Let me tell you something. If you look like a little bastard there is no way im going to look the other way and let you hire that. How stupid do some kids think I am. Lesson of the day, if you're underage you damn well look underage so don't try to give me this "im 18" bullshit, you look like you belong in primary school.
Something I do not appriciate is when customers think that i can read their minds. "I'm looking for a movie - I don't know what it's called.." well that is not helpful!
People are stupid.
"If I tell you the name of an actor can you give me a list of what movies they're in"
"Do I have to come into the store to rehire my movie"
"What deals do you have on today?
- everything today's a dollar
So everything's a dollar?
- yes, every movie today is a dollar
Are the new releases a dollar?
- ... yes, EVERthing's a dollar
So this overnight is a dollar
- ...."
Am I crazy to think everyone know's how a video store works? or that people are smart enough to find their way around a video store? clearly im thinking too much of people. One Thursday a man and his son came in. Clearly new to the area for they asked to sign up. fair enough. They needed some help with the form. fair enough. They needed to be taught how a video store works. umm. I had to give them a tour of the store. ughh
My Video Store is different to other's. One it has the oldest computer system left on this planet. Don't believe me? The screen is green and black, there is no mouse, everything's done through the keyboard, and everythings saved to floppy disk. It not only rents out movies, but it also sells toys, perfume, stickers, and signed memorabilia. It used to sell incense and clothes. There's a bed in the back, when you flush the toilet water runs down the walls and there are the corniest ads known to man played within the background music. It's also the only video store i know not to have a TV / a movie playing within the store. Also if you wander down the comedy aisle you'll endure the pleasant scent of dead pigeon.
You'd think all shops these days have fool proof security for the cash? oh no. all profits are tucked safely each night in a locked bin which is kept casually underneath the counter. Right beside the key that opens the till. Genious.
Why is this place not out of business yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment